My Price County

You must agree to our Disclaimer before using MyPriceCounty.com.  If this is your first time here, please register for FREE.  If you are already a Member, log-in.

The first time you use the forum and chatroom, you will need to make an identical username and password log-in for each one.

"Like" us on Facebook.

If you get "lost" in the various sections, just start at the beginning, the Community Forum Home.

Print This Topic    Mark Topic as Unread 

Poster
IP: Logged

Attached:
nyc1.jpg
375 KB [downloads: 394]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #1]

"It was an experience I'll never forget, and I definitely see myself visiting again in the future," Mackenzie Karnosh, PHS junior, said of a recent educational trip. Students from the Phillips High School band, directed by Justin Lindgren, and choir, directed by Kyle Schliefe, departed on Tuesday, March 12th for a five day adventure which provided a whirlwind of activities in New York City.

Students slept on the motor coach and were able to start their adventure bright and early on March 13th with a ride on a ferry past the Statue of Liberty and had the ability to walk through the American Immigration Museum on Ellis Island, the very place that immigrants stood from 1892 to 1954 as they waited for their freedom. Andra Dischler, one of the chaperons, said that while they were on the second floor of the original part of the Ellis Island Museum, the PHS choir students sang "The Famine Song." The acoustics made for an extra beautiful rendition. Andra also shared her favorite parts of the trip, which were all the amazing cultural experiences, which made it difficult to choose just one. "I just loved getting the opportunity to take it all in!"

The next major stop of the first day was the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. The 16-acre site covers the area where the original Twin Towers stood, adorned with two enormous waterfalls and reflecting pools. According to Kelsey Lazar, a senior band student who plays the oboe and plans to go into the Air Force after graduation, "The most memorable part of being in New York was visiting the 9/11 Memorial. I found it to be the most touching place that we toured!"

Students were able to visit Chinatown and Little Italy before departing to their hotel. "Exploring such a diverse city opened my eyes to so many new things," said Olivia Bushman, PHS senior. "The New York trip was such an amazing experience. I'm so glad our Music Department gave our students this opportunity of a lifetime."

March 14th was filled with a city bus or walking tour, visiting Times Square, and an evening at the Rockefeller Center & the Top of the Rock. The Top of the Rock is said to be an entertaining and educational experience with a view of the Big Apple from the observation deck. Annikka Johnson, a senior band student who is the trumpet section leader and plans to attend Carroll University after graduation, said she had tons of favorite experiences on the trip, but Rockefeller Center at night was at the top of the list. "The city lights were breathtaking and seemed unreal from a bird's eye view. Along with the Rockefeller Center, simply walking down the sidewalks of Times Square was exhilarating because of the colorful buildings and signs everywhere."

Jenna Simurdiak, junior, who is an alto singer in choir and a trumpet player in band, agreed that the busy city experience was one to remember. "Looking up at all of the skyscrapers seemed surreal! We were definitely not in Phillips, Wisconsin anymore! My favorite part of New York would have to be going up to the observatory on top of the Rockefeller Center. Colorfully lit buildings were everywhere you looked! It was a wonderful experience, but there’s nothing like home!"

Day 3 in New York included a visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, "The MET." It is the largest art museum in the United States. The collection features over two millions works from Classical antiquity and ancient Egypt all the way to American modern art.

A walk in Central Park, Strawberry Fields, and Times Square concluded the afternoon. The Lincoln Center - David Geffen Hall was the final destination for the night. Students were able to attend a New York Philharmonic and Westminster Symphonic Choir Concert featuring the works of the composer, Mozart. Justin Polacek, a PHS junior who plays the trumpet in band said, "My favorite part was being able to see all the music and history in New York and being able to experience it for myself."

Rachel Callow, PHS sophomore, shared her appreciation for the experience. "I am so grateful for the opportunity to see some of the most amazing sights in the world. It's a trip I will never forget." Sally Schavey, chaperon, added, "NYC was a lot of fun, and a great experience for both students and chaperones."

The final day in New York included a trip to the Concord Market in Brooklyn, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and the ability to explore outside of Rockefeller Center in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. There, students were able to have a backstage tour of Radio City Music Hall. The guided tour included art deco masterpieces, the secrets of the Great Stage, a visit with a Rockette, and much more. Ella Teeters, a freshman in choir, said that her favorite part was this tour and knowing that she was in the exact spot where others, such as celebrities, had once been.

The final night in New York capped off with a live performance of "The Prom" at Longacre Theatre.

Alyssa Huffman, Sophomore, summed up the importance of the trip for our small town students. "Being able to experience New York and all the people there is something I am very grateful for. It was quite a shock for me, as I have only experienced small towns. This trip made me realize how big the world is."

Students returned to Phillips on Sunday, March 17th. PHS Choir Director, Kyle Schleife, remarked, "Our students represented Phillips High School with grace and respect in the Big Apple! The culture shock of an international city taught the students about tolerance and social justice. One of my favorite parts of the trip was able to bond with the students outside of the choral rehearsal space and get to know these amazing young adults that live in our community."

The band and choir directors wanted to extend appreciation to the chaperones, volunteer driver, school board of the School District of Phillips; Rick Morgan, superintendent; Colin Hoogland, 6-12 principal; and Kay Sue Belan & Stacy Arntsen, office personnel, for their support, which made this trip possible.

Photo Credit: Andra Dischler

---

Want to see more free news stories? "Like" our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/mypricecounty Don't have Facebook? Watch our website's home page for the latest news at http://www.MyPriceCounty.com.

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 08:39 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:33 PM
Print
My Price County Administrator

Attached:
nyc2.jpg
236 KB [downloads: 231]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #2]

Students and their teachers by Ellis Island National Museum of Immigration

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 08:44 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:42 PM
Print

Attached:
nyc3.jpg
353 KB [downloads: 229]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #3]

Photo Submitted By: Kyle Schliefe

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:46 PM
Print

Attached:
ad1.jpg
65 KB [downloads: 222]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #4]

Chaperones Andra Dischler and Sally Schavey with choir director, Kyle Schleife, on the Subway in New York.

Photo Submitted By: Andra Dischler

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 08:51 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:49 PM
Print

Attached:
iapfan.jpg
249 KB [downloads: 224]
SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES -- SHOP PRICE COUNTY FIRST [Message #5]

IAP Inc. is a manufacturer of industrial fans and blowers. Impeccable service, high quality standards, continued growth & prosperity. Visit http://www.iapfan.com and "like" their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/iapfans

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:51 PM
Print

Attached:
aj2.jpg
97 KB [downloads: 219]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #6]

Photo Submitted By: Annikka Johnson

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:53 PM
Print

Attached:
aj8.jpg
131 KB [downloads: 219]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #7]

Photo Credit: Annikka Johnson

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 09:20 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:54 PM
Print

Attached:
aj9.jpg
203 KB [downloads: 217]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #8]

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 09:22 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:55 PM
Print

Attached:
aj6.jpg
154 KB [downloads: 213]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #9]

Photo Submitted By: Annikka Johnson

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 08:57 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:56 PM
Print

Attached:
ad4.jpg
160 KB [downloads: 209]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #10]

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 08:58 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 08:57 PM
Print

Attached:
ad3.jpg
136 KB [downloads: 207]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #11]

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:00 PM
Print

Attached:
fairjobad.jpg
223 KB [downloads: 207]
HELP WANTED [Message #12]

Visit http://www.PriceCountyFair.com and "like" the Price County Fair's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pricecountyfair

View more EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT http://www.mypricecounty.com/forum/viewboard.php?BoardID=17

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 09:35 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:06 PM
Print

Attached:
aj7.jpg
88 KB [downloads: 204]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #13]

9/11 Memorial Museum

[Edited by My Price County Administrator on Mar 26, 2019 at 09:22 PM]

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:08 PM
Print

Attached:
aj5.jpg
153 KB [downloads: 203]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #14]

Chinatown

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:11 PM
Print

Attached:
ad2.jpg
133 KB [downloads: 202]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #15]

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:17 PM
Print

Attached:
ad5.jpg
224 KB [downloads: 200]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #16]

Radio City Music Hall

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:18 PM
Print

Attached:
aj3.jpg
171 KB [downloads: 198]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #17]

View from The Top of the Rock

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:19 PM
Print

Attached:
ad.jpg
102 KB [downloads: 197]
PHILLIPS: STUDENTS SHARE THEIR REACTIONS TO NEW YORK CITY TRIP [Message #18]

Bohn Web Design creates custom websites, plus provides SEO marketing, graphic design, website hosting, and more for anyone, anywhere! Contact Bohn Web Design at 715-339-6677 for a free quote or visit http://www.BohnWebDesign.com for more information.

Mar 26, 2019 at 09:19 PM
Print

Surf To:
Username (alphanumeric): Password (alphanumeric): Lost your password?

| Bohn Web Design | Copyright © 2012 to Present. All rights reserved. |

tForum version b0.94.2.4 (© 2003 tForumDevTeam)